Pages

Monday, November 7, 2022

Review: Court of the Vampire Queen by Katee Robert


 

Katee Robert never fails to impress with her works. The romance and intimacy of this book are excellently written. It ties into her A Deal With a Demon series to make it even more exciting. 

Mina is the daughter of one of the seven bloodline families. Her father sends her to be impregnated or killed by the last of one of the bloodline vampires, Malachi. Mina isn't expecting to be given some choice in this situation and doesn't expect the attraction she feels for Malachi. As she gets more wrapped up in him, and later wrapped up in two of his close friends, escape from her father begins to feel more and more realistic. 

The men in this book as Mina calls them are absolutely delicious. Who doesn't want three sexy vampire men wrapped around their fingers? While there are many intimate interactions, the conflict of this story balances it and doesn't take away from it. I also really enjoyed how Katee implemented known vampire lore but also created her own. It made the book familiar and yet unique. 

This is a great book for lovers of monster romance and why choose romance books. This is the first book I've read with the main character having multiple lovers so I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it, but as a girl who always wants every character in the Shall We Date? phone games, I should've known I would enjoy this. Malachi is very kind to Mina and their connection exists right from the start. They are in a forced proximity situation, but there is no denying the attraction they feel for each other. Wolf is wild and fun but has a deeper part of himself that Mina and the other men get to see. He's the crazy, bad boy that I wanted as a young woman. Lastly, Rylan (my favorite). Rylan is apprehensive at first and even hates Mina, but the challenge of it makes it so much better when he finally gives in. I love a man who loses control and Rylan fulfills that, although the other men do as well. 

I can't recommend this book enough. I can't recommend Katee Robert enough. She is brilliant in the crafting of her worlds and characters. I will mention some content warnings. Given that this is about vampires, there is lots of blood mentioned in the book, there is also pregnancy, what Katee calls dubious consent (This is consent, but there is a grey area here that is common in dark romance. Specifically for this book, Mina doesn't want to have to make the choice to accept these men, she wants them, but she wants them to take the choice away from her.), and murder. For a full list of content warnings, I recommend checking out StoryGraph. I am a strong believer that readers should be aware of the type of content present in a book so that they can enjoy it without facing content they find triggering or uncomfortable. This is a dark romance book so naturally, there are lots of content warnings to be mentioned. StoryGraph has a large list as provided by other readers. Please check this out before you decide to read the book. 

As always, happy reading, and I will be back soon with another review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...