Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Review: Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber


 

Star Wars + zombies, what else could you need in a book? The story starts on an imperial prison barge headed to a distant planet to drop off enemies of the empire for hard labor. We're introduced to two young men whose father has recently died, the doctor of the ship, and one of the imperial leaders. Everything is going to plan until the engines suddenly stop stalling the ship in a deserted section of the galaxy. Their only choice: board a death star that is mysteriously abandoned in search of parts. They aren't expecting what's waiting for them on that ship and how it will impact the barge when the team returns. 

This book was very fun, but it did take way longer than I had hoped for the zombies to actually be introduced. They don't come in until about halfway and for me, that's way too late in the book. By the time they do come in, almost everyone is dead and there's no longer the fear of being eaten by zombies on the same scale it would've been had there been more characters alive. I did enjoy the background on how the zombies came to be (it's further explained in a prequel that I am currently reading, Red Harvest). The idea of being trapped in space in a ship full of zombies is also terrifying. There are also some familiar characters that make an appearance which is fun. 

If you're looking for a fun read and like zombies or Star Wars, I highly recommend reading this book. The content warnings to be aware of are descriptions of cannibalism, violence, descriptions of viscera, etc. As always, I recommend checking StoryGraph for a full list of possible content warnings. 

Happy reading and in exciting news, I am one book away from my reading goal for the year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...