Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Review: Charm by Tracy Wolff


 

The Crave series finally got me hooked on reading again in 2021. If you haven't read it yet, I recommend skipping this review as it has potential spoilers for the series. Essentially, the series follows Grace who in the first book, Crave, finds herself at Katmere Academy in Alaska following the death of her parents. Although she's moving in with her Uncle Finn and cousin Macy, she quickly discovers that Katmere isn't all that it seems as odd things begin to happen. And of course, there's a boy, a very handsome brooding boy. Grace finds an instant attraction to him, but getting involved with him seems to get her into trouble or maybe get her out of it. The first book is a little rough with some silly language like "AF" and the use of hashtags. However, the following books get much better and Tracy writes the funniest chapter titles I've read. The other books look a lot at how we are more powerful when we let ourselves rely on the strengths of our friends. Overall, I think the books give a good message of girl power, the power of friendship, some good old teenage romance, and paranormal creatures of course. These are the books I would've had instead of Twilight as a younger me. 

Here's where the actual review of Charm begins. In this book, we find out what happened while Grace and Hudson were trapped inside her mind. The two wake up and find themselves in a strange version of Hudson's lair with a giant dragon constantly trying to break in. Grace is apprehensive about Hudson, trusting what Jackson told her about him being evil. However, as the two are forced to get to know each other more, Grace finds herself questioning this. Filled with learning how to be friends with the thought to be an enemy, adventures in a purple land, fighting dragons, and time jumping, this book is an absolute joy. I will admit I was nervous that it would be boring. I thought it would just be lovey stuff that I would be trying to keep reading, however, Tracy never fails to impress and wove a story that I was not expecting. 

I loved watching Grace and Hudson fall in love again, well actually, I guess fall in love for the first time. I have been on team Hudson since the moment he was introduced (physically rather than just by name). As much as I like Jackson, I liked Hudson far better for Grace and for myself of course. He's just the right kind of angsty while still having some hope that he tries to hide. He's smart, funny, and he believes in Grace full-heartedly. If your significant other doesn't believe in your abilities, kick them to the curb. 

Anyways, I really enjoyed this book. It was very fun although I will admit by the end of it I was a little bit ready to be done. I'm excited to see what Tracy has in store for us in Cherish and her spin-off series with Remy. If you liked the rest of the series, I highly recommend checking this book out. If you haven't read the series yet, sorry for the spoilers, but get on reading it. It's fun feeling those bubbly teenage feelings again even as an adult. As far as content warnings go, be aware there is somewhat graphic content, mildly graphic sexual content, death, and more. As always, I point my readers to StoryGraph for a full list of content warnings as provided by other readers. 

As always, happy reading and I'll see you soon. 


I forgot to mention. I actually met Tracy Wolff and had her sign my copy of this book for me. Here's Tracy and me at said signing. She is such a sweet person and told me I was badass for graduating college and was excited about me going to library school. If you're a fan and get the chance to meet her, I highly recommend doing so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...