Pages

Monday, March 27, 2023

Trans Rights Readathon

 


I am so excited to say I read five books for the #TransRightsReadathon! It has given me much hope and energy to see the bookish community come together to read for a good cause. Trans rights are on the line right now. 

For those of you who don't know, I'm from Texas and today the Texas House Public Health Committee is hearing House Bill 1686. HB 1686 is a bill that will prevent transgender youth from accessing the gender-affirming healthcare they need. For those who don't understand what it means to be trans, this may not seem like a big deal, but it is deadly. The likelihood that this will lead to an increase in trans youth being susceptible to people who would harm them as well as trans youth suicide rates increasing in Texas is high. 

Because I am a Texan, a queer Texan, I decided that I would donate $5 per book I read for this readathon to the Transgender Education Network of Texas (click "Support our work" to donate). I would very much appreciate those who would consider making similar donations to TENT or other Texas organizations dedicated to fighting for trans people. If you are looking for other ways to help fight HB 1686, you can attend the rally at the Capital at 1pm today. You can call the Committee Chairperson: Representative Stephanie Klick at (512)-463-0599. You can use this link to email committee members. You can also drop a card (instructions for dropping a card). (Information thanks to Texas Freedom Network)

Together we can fight unjust laws from being passed in our communities, states, and country. It is our job to stand up when injustice persists. Please remember that although my focus, in this case, was on the trans rights of Texans being threatened, anti-trans bills exist across the country. Furthermore, a plethora of bills fueled by hate for marginalized communities are being debated and in some cases put into place across the country. We must be vigilant. We have seen that when laws are filled with hate and fear of marginalized people, atrocities take place. 

I highly recommend staying on top of threats to our civil liberties by keeping track of the issues the ACLU is fighting and reporting on. Remember that it is far easier and far less energy-consuming to love others than to hate them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...