Pages

Monday, February 21, 2022

An Older Read: Barbarian Alien by Ruby Dixon

 


Yes, I did start the series that went crazy on Booktok. 

Let me be honest, when I first heard about Ruby Dixon's Ice Planet Barbarians I was intrigued, but I wasn't really interested in romance novels. It wasn't until I saw the lovely special edition print of the first book on an outing to Barnes and Noble that I decided it was time for me to see what all the hype was about. 

Let me tell you, the first book was so fun. I soared through it laughing, gushing, and clapping the entire time. No, it's not the sexiest book out there or the most sci-fi intense, but it's great if you want a brain candy read with a little romance and a little smut. 

When the second book came out in the special edition print, I rushed over to Barnes, once again, (I have to make the most of my membership) and picked it up. (This was actually the same trip I got Tender Is the Flesh on). 

Yet again, I tore through this book, spending late nights after class reading about Liz and Raahosh. This book was much sexier than the first, but still left room for things other than sex. I will say I was disappointed that after Liz makes this big effort to be independent and her own person, she then throws herself at Raahosh. Liz in the beginning did not feel like the type of woman to throw herself at a man, regardless of "resonance" bonding. 

I feel that she did lose her personality some and took on a Stockholm Syndrome like personality after being intimate with Raahosh. (And no, I don't feel this is a spoiler, they're obviously going to hook up, it's a romance novel). I was disappointed. Plus, Liz didn't want to be a mom or have a family so it really felt she succumbed to Raahosh and her "cootie". 

However, I still like her better than Georgie and Raahosh really hit a soft spot for me. I will also more than likely be reading the next book in the series sometime soon and will of course update if I do. I may also look into some other books by Ruby Dixon. 

Overall, I gave this book 5/5 stars on Goodreads and if you liked the first on or sexy ice planet aliens, I highly recommend reading this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...