Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Review of Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers

 


I kept seeing this book at Target so I knew I had to pick it up. What appealed to me was the girl on the cover, but when I learned that it was a queer story, I was sold. 

Honey Girl looks at Grace Porter, a recent doctoral student who has just drunkenly married a woman in Vegas. For Grace, something so unplanned and wild is entirely unusual, but as she continues on her journey it might be just what she needed. 

This book can be intense at times, it deals with self-harm, mental health issues, post-college crisis, the issue of trying to find a job in academia while a queer black woman. Despite these somewhat dreary themes, the book remains a feel-good story that leaves the reader hopeful when they've finished it. 

For me, this book is just what I needed. I am a current college student soon to be pursuing a master's degree and I could relate to the stress Grace felt at not relaxing. I saw some people describe this as an adult coming of age story and I think that describes the book perfectly. We get to watch Grace grow as a person throughout the story. 

Although there is romance present, it mainly focuses on Grace's own journey of self-discovery. I recommend picking up this book if you're looking for a story that will show you the hard things without making you feel you'll never get through them. It's really a feel-good read with a heavy emphasis on friendships, love, self-love, etc. I highly recommend checking it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...