Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2022

Review: I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

 


I went into this book with very little knowledge other than the fact that it is creepy and you won't understand why. To me, this was enough to pique my interest and get me to buy the book. I also saw that there was a Netflix movie of the book so I wanted to read and then watch. 

Here's my first piece of advice, if you don't want the twist spoiled, make sure to read the book first. (Disclaimer: I have not yet watched the movie, but will be doing so soon with my friends). I was told that the movie isn't quite as good as the book, which given the way the book is written, that makes sense. 

This book follows the night of a couple going to meet the boyfriend's parents for the first time. The girlfriend is from the beginning very clear that she is "thinking of ending things" with the boyfriend. Based on this, I made some assumptions about how I believed the ending would go. However, I was 100% wrong. 

The book is very offputting. The mannerisms of the characters are very strange and uncomfortable. I found myself unsettled whilst reading. There are all these weird interjections from a maybe crime scene that made me feel more and more concerned as the book went on. It's creepy without really having anything creepy. The character talks about the disturbing in the normal things and this book is like that. Things are just slightly off in a way that makes you anxious. 

This was a quick read. I finished most of it in one sitting. I will say, that while the majority of the book was highly engaging, the last 30 or so pages lost my interest. This might not be true for everyone, it just wasn't as interesting to me. However, I still really enjoyed this book. It creeped me out so much so that I had to do a little light reading before falling asleep to try to prevent any creepy dreams. 

If you like a book that will mess with your mind and make you question things, I would highly recommend picking this one up. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...