Pages

Monday, March 14, 2022

Review: Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert


 

I picked up this book when I was feeling down with the hopes that it would lift my spirits and it did not disappoint. This book is a very cute, cozy romance novel. It follows Chloe Brown, a black disabled woman determined to bring the adventure back into her life, and Redford Morgan, an artist trying to regain his footing after a nasty breakup. Chloe moves into the apartment building that Red is the superintendent of and begins terrorizing his life. 

Chloe has fibromyalgia which causes her to be a bit grumpy at times as she pushes herself through the pain. Red, of course, never catches Chloe at a good moment, only when she's yelling at old women and moms. I would say it's not quite an enemies to lovers, more of a mutual agitation with each other to lovers. However, the frustrated tension builds wonderfully throughout the book. 

I will say this book is a bit spicy. I knew there was some spice going into the book, but while reading it I realized it was far more than I expected. If spice isn't your style I would advise skipping those pages or the book altogether (the majority of the spicy scenes happen towards the end of the book). 

What I really like about this book is the representation of love for a person with a disability and the representation of love for a person who has experienced dating violence. It was good to see someone with a chronic illness in a book in a way that is not expecting the person to "overcome" the illness. Chloe has chronic pain, it's not going to be fixed, and she still makes the most out of her life. She also finds a relationship in which her partner can accept and be considerate of her condition. Red experienced emotional abuse (hinted at throughout the book) and is able to start working past it in order to find a healthy and happy relationship. 

This book is just what I needed for a cozy pick-me-up. I really enjoyed the characters and the romance and already have the second two to read someday soon. If you're looking for a sweet romance with an artist and an adorable grump, I highly recommend picking up this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...