Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Looking Through My Old Books Nostalgia

 My boyfriend and I are in visiting my parents in Texas for spring break. Throughout my life, I have collected very many books. These are from holidays, Half Price Books outings, and book splurges. I have loved reading since the fourth grade..... which means I have a ridiculous amount of books. 

On my first night home, I made my boyfriend (who is very patient and sweet and was no doubt bored) look through all of my books with me. Many of these books are unread, but many more are read. Of the 500+ books I own, I would say I've read more than half of them. This is something I am very proud of. I love reading. It is one of those things that brings me a great amount of joy. 

When I was in middle school and early high school, reading was my escape. I was angsty, I felt too many things all at once, and books allowed me a break from all the swirling emotions that came along with puberty. Even now, reading is an excellent break from all the harsh things I have to read and learn about in college. It allows me to escape to something that isn't real, even if it is just as depressing as my actual life, at least it is different. 

Looking at all my books brought back fond memories. For me, each of these books holds a time period in my life and the story I needed to go along with it. The characters and the stories have helped shape who I am today. 

When I was younger I was pretty much a pure romance-fantasy reader. Anything vampires, faeries, dragons, ghosts, and I was all over it. I mostly liked young adult, although I have read some middle-grade stories. I remember my mom always telling me if things got too sexy I'd have to let her read it before I went on. (Fade to black scenes was as spicy as I was allowed to consume in middle school). 

I guess the point is that books mean the world to me. They are truly my favorite thing in the world. I am so grateful to authors for creating the stories they do that allowed me to escape into another world when I needed to. Here's to at least 60 more years with my nose in a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...