Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Review: Dead Collections by Isaac Fellman


 

First of all, this book has such a lovely cover. The colors choice and art design are very aesthetically pleasing. I'm definitely going to have to find a nice place to keep it on my bookshelf. 

I picked up this book because I heard that it was about a transperson. For me, queer representation is an instant seller when it comes to books. Let me say, this book did not disappoint. It is a mix of many different things, but the best way I would describe it is a self-realization book or even an adult coming of age. 

The story follows Sol, an archivist, and vampire. He is a transman who has been living in the archives office of his work since being turned into a vampire. He cannot go out in the sun so he lives his life in fear of being exposed. Sol meets Elsie, the widow of the writer of one of Sol's childhood shows. He and Elsie have an instant connection and begin a romance. As Sol looks through the writer, Tracy's, collection, his life begins to unravel. 

This book looks at relationships, self-growth, and gender identity. I really enjoyed the exploration of gender in this book and the validation of the genderfluid experience. There is transphobia and body dysphoria/dysmorphia present so that is something to be aware of. I will also mention there is some sexual content and gore present. I recommend StoryGraph for a full list of any potential triggers. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. The story is very interesting and the characters are relatable. If you are a fan of queer literature, books about finding yourself, and fanfiction, this is a book worth checking out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...