Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2022

How I Pick My Next Reads

 

(Featuring my Moods from StoryGraph which is a great reader app that I highly recommend) 


So I used to be a pure mood reader when I was a teenager. I would read whatever it was I felt like reading next. I also mostly read romantasy back then. Iron Fey Series, The Mortal Instruments, Trylle Trilogy anything fairy or demon related. My parents were definitely glad to have the local library and the kindle rentals. 

I am still somewhat of a mood reader, but over the decade I've been reading, I have learned how to avoid my reading slumps. For me, switching genres has always been really helpful. Now, I rarely read two books of the same genre right after each other. I need a different genre buffer book to help me move on with my reading. Seeing as I have read the most I have in a long time (maybe ever) this year, I would say it's working pretty well for me. 

However, I still tend to lean towards one genre or another throughout my reading months. Lately, horror has been getting the most love out of all my genres. I really enjoy horror reading so that makes sense but I have left a few genres out. Most notably, memoirs. 

I do have two arcs (advanced reader copies) I need to finish by the end of this month, but after those, I will be reading Educated by Tara Westover. I received this book a few years back from Penguin Random House when I received an honorable mention for a poem I submitted in one of their competitions. I have heard many good things, but haven't gotten around to reading it, but I think it's time. I'll update when I finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...