Pages

Monday, March 21, 2022

Review: My Mechanical Romance by Alexene Farol Follmuth

 


I got to read this book early through Netgalley. It is about two high school seniors at a prestigious private school. Bel has just transferred here recently and is still figuring things out. Teo, on the other hand, is the poster boy of the school: head of the soccer team and robotics team. Bel finds herself being asked to join the robotics team by her teacher and this is how her interactions with Teo begin. 

This book is a very sweet, fun, teen YA romance. It is just what I needed when I was in high school so I'm glad it will soon be here (May 31st) for current teens. I love the relationship in this book, but more than that I love how the two characters grow for themselves. This is a dual POV book from the perspectives of both Teo and Bel so we see the issues they struggle with first hand. 

The content is appropriate for a teenager, likely ages 13+. There are some make-out scenes and mentions of sex, but nothing explicit. 

I loved seeing the representation of multiple cultures. There is a Holi celebration as well as Indian, Mexican, Filipino, and queer characters. I also liked seeing the representation of women in STEM as well as the difficulties that accompany them. There is also girl power present in this book which I personally think is super important for YA. 

Overall, this book just hit the spot. It is super cute and felt like all the things I needed when I was in high school. Maybe if I had, had this book back then, I would have made more of an effort in science class. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a cute high school romance with some nerdy robotics mixed in. 

Be sure to check this book out when it comes out May 31st of this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...