Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

The Banned Books That I've Read

First, I will say I am strongly against the banning of books unless of course, the content is harmful or out of date (super old textbooks are fine to toss out).  However, I do believe that making books accessible is how we gain insight into diverse experiences. Reading should always be open to everyone. Even if I don't like a book, I want others to have access to it. 

Maus by Art Spiegelman. This is a graphic novel about the Holocaust in which the Jewish people are mice and the Nazis are cats. It depicts the story of the author's family. I borrowed a copy of this book from my aunt when I was in middle school. It's a good book one that I think helps young people get a better grasp of what the Holocaust was. I understand parents what to protect their children from the mature material in the book, but I also think it's important to expose them to the realities of the world. The book demonstrates the pain, violence, and impact on the family after one of the most horrendous events in history. I'm glad that I read it. I definitely recommend it. 

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This book is dystopian in which society has fallen and people are assigned certain roles. There are maids, cooks, wives, husbands, and handmaids who are to bear children for the wives and husbands. It's an interesting take on the extremes of conservative society and the anti-abortion movement. The story itself is very interesting. I definitely don't think it's as serious as parents feel it is. I enjoyed it and recommend it. 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. This book is about a young black woman dealing with the aftermath of witnessing her friend murdered by police. Obviously, this book doesn't really serve the "Blue Lives Matter" movement so conservative parents don't like it. It is a really good book and an important read. It's also somewhat of a coming-of-age story for the main character. She's really learning how she fits into the different communities she has to navigate and who she wants to be. I loved this book and am so thankful I was gifted it. I highly recommend reading it. 

Beloved by Toni Morrison.  First of all, Toni Morrison is a fantastic writer and everyone should be grateful to read her books. Beloved looks at the memories and impact slavery had on the main character and her family. There definitely is disturbing content, the book depicts rape among other traumatic incidents so I would recommend readers who are sensitive to that be advised. I understand not reading this as a class as the content might be too traumatic for some students, but those who are interested should have access to it. (My junior year English teacher had it as an option for a reading project which is why I ended up reading it and I'm thankful for her.) Definitely check this out, or at the very least read something by Toni Morrison. 

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This is a book about a girl who commits suicide and leaves tapes blaming people for it. (I'm sorry, I don't feel like coming up with a nice summary). Honestly, I don't really have anything nice to say about this book. When I read it, I hated it. I hated the characters, I hated the stories, I hated it. If I had known that not finishing books was acceptable, I would not have finished it. This book could definitely be argued as harmful, but if students what to read it, let them read it. 

Looking for Alaska by John Green. This is a coming-of-age story about teenagers at a boarding school doing what teenagers do. I got this book because I had a big John Green phase when I was in middle school. Honestly, the content is mature, but it's nothing teenagers don't already hear about. I remember liking this book quite a bit but not as much as some of the others. 

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. This is a story that takes place in the 20s and looks at rich socialites. I've read this book twice and I definitely think it's a staple of American English classes so it doesn't make sense to ban it. It does have a possible message that is anti-capitalism, an anti-American dream depending on your interpretation. Again, the material in this is really not that bad for teenagers. It's a good book and shows good figurative language. F. Scott Fitzgerald was a horrible person though. 

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. This book is another kind of coming-of-age story about a rich teenager. This book is basically just teenage angst and depression on paper. I've read it three times and every time it is horrible for my mental health. There's suicidal content, sexual content, and rape content. However, I don't think it's anything a high school freshman can't handle. This also used to be my favorite book, but then I grew up and couldn't relate. 

The Color Purple by Alice Walker. This is the story of a black woman in the rural south learning her place in her world. It's been a long time since I read this. I think I was in 5th grade. This book is so beautiful. I remember loving this book, and I definitely need to reread it because it is one of my favorites. I remember the writing being so amazing. Highly recommended. 

Obviously, there are a lot more than what I have listed here, and many I have read, but these are the ones I could think of/find. I recommend reading banned books, especially if you are one of the people who think they should be banned because you need to know what you're banning. Also, remember, Nazis banned and burned books too, do you really want to side with Nazis? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...