Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2022

A March Reading Wrap Up

 


This image is from StoryGraph. I really recommend this website for avid readers as it can be interesting to see a breakdown of my reading habits by month or by year. You can also set a yearly book and page goal. If you're like me and struggle to make your own book journal, this is super helpful. 

In March, I managed to read eleven books. Two of these books were from my "to finish" pile so I had already started them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to read as many from this pile as I would have liked. However, I am going to try to read two from my "to finish" pile a month. 

As you can see, I tend to read tense and dark books most often, although I will say that this chart looks a lot more diverse than some of my others. Dark does tend to be my largest section of the pie every month though. I also read way more than I usually do in March. In previous months this year, I read about 6 books per month. I'm not sure why the growth in my reading was so dramatic this month. 

Each of the books I read this month is reviewed in this blog, but I will list the books here and give a short description/review. 

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. This book is short vignettes about living on a particular street as this young woman is growing up. I really enjoyed this book as it was interesting to watch as this girl's neighborhood changed. It was also interesting to see how her views of her neighborhood were changing throughout her life. I believe that some middle schools read this book. (This was in my "to finish" pile.) 

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. This is the story of suburban moms in the 90s. They form a book club in which they read about gruesome murders to have a break from the mundanity of their lives as stay-at-home moms. When a new man moves in, our main character Patricia grows suspicious of his behavior. I did enjoy this book although I will say there were some parts that I found unnecessary. Some readers do complain that Hendrix tends to have "man writing woman syndrome" in which the women have very little personality or their personalities and feelings are shallow. Regardless, I liked this book and recommend it. I will say I don't really find Hendrix's work scary. This is an adult horror. 

Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley. This book was an advanced reader copy that I read from Netgalley. This book will be available for purchase on June 7, 2022. This is the story of a young woman in Oakland who is struggling to get by as she and her brother are jobless. She finds herself a part of the prostitution scene and ends up involved with the police. This is an incredible book, extremely well-written. I highly recommend picking it up when it is published. This is an adult novel as well. 

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid. I picked up this book because I saw it had been made into a Netflix movie. This book was really interesting and held my attention until the very end. I finished it but lost interest in the last 30 or so pages. I was shocked by what happened but disappointed. The ending made me not like the book as much as I had when I was reading. This is also an adult horror.  

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert. This book was just too cute. I really enjoyed Chloe's personality and seeing representation of people with chronic illness. The romance in this book was very sweet and very sexy. I enjoyed the storyline and plan on finishing The Brown Sisters trilogy soon. This is an adult romance. 

Dead Collections by Isaac Fellman. This is the story of a transman who is a vampire and archivist and lives in the archives of his workplace. When he meets the widow of a TV writer he once fanned over, he finds himself falling for her. This book looks at transness, gender expression, identity, etc. I found it absolutely wonderful. This is an adult novel. 

My Mechanical Romance by Alexene Farol Follmuth. This is another advanced reader copy I got from Netgalley. It comes out May 31, 2022. It is a sweet high school romance that occurs through the robotics club. It shows the development of a relationship in a way that allows both teens to grow on their own. It is a young adult romance. 

Hell Followed with Us by Andrew Joseph White. I read this through Netgalley as an advanced reader copy. The book will come out on June 7, 2022. This is an apocalyptic story about a teenager who is the chosen leader of a terrorist Christian group that has brought the fall of the world and mass murdered non-believers. The only problem is that this chosen one is trans. This goes against the beliefs of the organization and furthermore, the boy does not want to be a bringer of more death. He escapes and joins a group of LGBTQ+ teenagers as they work together to fight the terrorist group. I really enjoyed this story. It is a young adult novel. 

Verity by Colleen Hoover. This is the first Colleen Hoover book that I have read. The book itself is very good, however, I did not personally like it. I didn't agree with the character's choices and there was a trope that I did not particularly like used in this book. (I cannot disclose the trope as it will spoil the twist). This is adult suspense. 

Silk Hills by Kate Sherron, Brian Level, and Ryan Ferrier. I read this book as an advanced reader copy through Netgalley. This comes out May 24, 2022. The art in this is really cool and creepy. This is a graphic novel for adults. 

Barbarian Lover by Ruby Dixon. This is my favorite series of the year. This is the third book in the Ice Planet Barbarians books. The love story in this book is absolutely adorable. Also, it's steamy. Let me tell you, this book had me gasping in shock and squealing with joy. I love these books. It is an erotic novel. 

Overall, I would say that I was pretty happy with my March reads. There weren't any books that I finished and wished I hadn't read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...