Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2022

Sometimes I Put Too Many Books On My Plate

 I am an avid book lover, as can be seen by this blog, my Goodreads, StoryGraph, Tiktok, Instagram, bedroom, etc. However, I sometimes have a tendency to overload myself with books. I am constantly buying books which is a definite problem (I am on a book buying ban until I get back to Texas, so wish me luck). I download way too many books on Kindle Unlimited. I request too many books on Netgalley expecting to get rejected for the titles. I also have had authors reach out to ask me to read their books. And, I signed up for a summer ambassador program that will be sending me books soon. 

Right now, I have a Netgalley review I need to do by next week so I can promote the book before its publication date. It can get somewhat stressful. It's not that these books aren't interesting and I don't want to read them, it's just my brain freaks out when I give it too much to do all at once. I'm trying really hard to finish all my current reads, but I also have a bunch of assignments due soon at school. It can just get very stressful. 

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the purpose of reading is that it is supposed to bring me joy. It really does, but I can also find myself feeling like I need to rush to finish what I'm reading. Especially now that I am a content creator. I feel like I need to finish a book every few days in order to make content. I also want to exceed my reading goals so there is pressure to do that as well. I still enjoy books, but I have to keep telling myself it is okay to take my time. 

My advice is, don't over-request on Netgalley and platforms like that, and don't feel pressured to keep up with the goals that you've set or even other readers. It's okay to only get to one book a month. It's okay to only get to one book a year. Enjoy what you're reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...