Pages

Friday, April 8, 2022

Review: The Dragon's Bride by Katee Robert

 


This is the first Katee Robert book that I have read. I own a couple of her other books but hadn't gotten around to reading them yet. However, I follow her on social media and saw that she was coming out with this book. First of all, the cover of this book is beautiful. I really want to display it proudly on my bookcase when I have more room to do so. I will say there is a discrete cover option if you would prefer. That cover is also very pretty and I may, at some point, add that to my collection as well. 

This book is a romance between a human woman and a dragon-humanoid man. The woman, Briar Rose, signs a contract with a demon in order to kill her abusive ex. The contract requires she go to a realm in which monsters exist and allow them to seduce her. She is put on an auction block with four other women and the monsters claim one for their own. She ends up with Sol, a dragon. Sol and Briar are forced to marry due to his culture's strict rules and Briar finds out that Sol wants her to bear his children. The one catch is that she's only there for seven years, how can she have a child and leave it behind? 

This book was lovely. There is a tenderness in the romance that makes it absolutely delicious and let me say this book is heavy on the spice (sexual content). I loved how the book dealt with Briar's recovery from the abusive relationship she was previously in. It is not often that I find stories in which the heroine is a survivor of abuse and it is always a comfort to me as a survivor myself. The kind, sweet, and loving way Sol treats her and her finding her voice and accepting her pleasure is the kind of healing many survivors need. The idea that there is love and value after the violence. I think Robert handled this topic excellently. 

I will also say the fantasy aspect of this book was really well-written. It was not an overload of information about the world, but just enough to set the tone and focus on the romance/spice. Honestly, I liked this book so much I want to give it to my mom, grandma, and anyone I meet. However, I know the content is not for everyone. It's human-on-dragon which some people might feel uncomfortable with. Also, this book has some very, very sexy scenes. 

As always, I recommend checking StoryGraph for a full list of content warnings. Robert does include warnings in the front of the book, but as far as I've seen this book is not available in physical store locations. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am impatiently waiting for the next in the series. If you like monster romance, or even just want to give it a try (this was my first), I recommend checking this book out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...