Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Review: Legends & Lattes by Travis Baldree


 

I started this book as a buddy-read with my boyfriend and ended up finishing it way before him. 

This is a cozy fantasy novel about an orc that opens a coffee shop. It has all the fantasy elements that make fantasy whimsical, but it is low stakes which makes it great for a comfort read. There are orcs, elves, gnomes, ratkins, succubi, and more. 

The story follows Viv an orc and former adventurer. She gives up her life as a mercenary in favor of opening a coffee shop after discovering one owned by gnomes. Coffee isn't well-known by most people so she's not sure how well things will take off. She also has a secret stone that is supposed to bring her fortune which she hopes will help her chances. As she works to open and run her coffee shop, she befriends multiple people along the way. 

I really enjoyed this book and would definitely say it is a comfort read for me. The setting feels like all the exciting parts of fantasy without all the world-building parts that make reading fantasy difficult for some. Again, it's low stakes so there's no worry of horrible things happening or wars. 

It's a pretty quick read with short chapters. The characters are very likable and interesting without digging too deep into their backgrounds. There is some sapphic representation, but it is very small, so I wouldn't say this is a romance book. It's very feel-good and heartfelt. I recommend this for people looking to get into fantasy for the first time. I would also recommend this if you're looking for a good cozy read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...