Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Review: Queen's Shadow by E.K. Johnston


 

I am a long-time Star Wars fan, my dad had me watch it with him as a little kid. For me, it feels like a big part of my childhood. The new movies were pretty nostalgic for me. 

I have always had an interest in Padme. I think when I was little it was pretty dresses that made me like her so much. When I heard there was a trilogy specifically about Padme, I immediately wanted it. Originally, I wanted to get the hardback covers because they look a lot cooler than the paperback. Unfortunately, the first book is about $40 in hardback. I decided to just get the paperback so I could read it sooner. 

This book is so good. I love how it makes Padme so much more than just a pretty girl in a dress that serves as a way to further the plot of Anakin's downfall and the eventual creation of Luke and Leia. In this book, Padme is ending her term as queen and transitioning into being a Senator. For her, the change is somewhat of a challenge to figure out how to gain respect in her senatorial position. 

It's also cool to see that all the dresses and elaborate hairstyles are more than just style choices. They allow Padme to switch with her handmaidens in times of need. Padme is honestly just a good person. She puts so much effort into making the galaxy a better place for everyone. After her interaction with Anakin, she even tries to free slaves from Tatooine. 

This book is filled with smart women and political intrigue. There's not a ton of action, it's mostly the political issues that Padme faces. That might make it less appealing for some people, but I liked the way it showed just how smart Padme is. 

Overall, the book made me so sad about the future I know comes to be Padme's. She is just such a good person who would have made the galaxy a better place had she been able to live longer. She deserved better than Anakin. 

I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to starting the second one, Queen's Peril, which is about Padme's experience as queen. If you are a Star Wars fan and a Padme fan, I highly recommend checking out this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...