Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Review: The Girls Are Never Gone by Sarah Glenn Marsh


 

September means the official start of spooky season and I'd been eyeing this book for quite some time. The Girls Are Never Gone is about a diabetic ghost hunter who takes an internship at a house that she was told is haunted. Dare and her service dog, Waffles, head to the haunted house with the hopes of solving the mysterious death of one of the previous owners' daughters. The house has a history of accidents in the huge lake beside it. As Dare begins to investigate, she also begins to fall for the new owner's daughter, Quinn. The girls encounter more and find themselves in more and more danger as the book goes on. 

I personally really enjoyed this book. It was a great way to start fall. The mystery seemed to grow with every new chapter and I was eager to find out why the house was haunted. It was also very cool to see a diabetic heroine which is something I haven't encountered before. The fact that it was sapphic only added to my enjoyment. This kind of representation is super important in YA. 

I pretty much read the last fourth of the book in one sitting because I was so eager to find out what happened. I will admit that although this wasn't super scary, I did have plenty of weird dreams whilst reading. I will say Dare is quite the skeptic which did get annoying at times, but her eagerness to get to the bottom of what was going on in the house was admirable. This was also a good break from the heavy readings I've been doing lately although it is in no way missing the dark aspects of horror. 

This book is definitely a lot lighter on the content warnings than my typical reads, but there are definitely some ick factors, discussion of death, discussion of corpses, and more. As always I recommend checking out the full list of content warnings on StoryGraph before reading. If you're looking for a book to add to your spooky season reading list, this is one to add for sure. 

As always happy reading. I'll be posting more reviews soon as I try to reach my goal of 60 books this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...