Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Review: Strangers We Know by Elle Marr, Narrated by Janet Song, Alexander Cendese, and Lauren Ezzo

 


This is the second book I've read by Elle Marr. I previously listened to Lies We Bury and that review is available on the blog for those who are interested. Elle Marr writes excellent thrillers with Asian American heroines. In Strangers We Know, we follow Ivy Han as she attempts to uncover the secrets of her birth family. Faced with unexplained chronic illness, she hopes her birth family can shed the light on the issue, but when she finds out she's related to a serial killer, her search expands to trying to figure out what happened in her family's hometown and who the Full Moon Killer is. 

The book shows you the perspectives of three characters each voiced by a different actor in the audiobook: Ivy, Tatum (Ivy's mother), and Samson (an unknown young man). The characters slowly help us piece together the puzzle of the Full Moon Killer and what happened to Ivy's birth mother. I was on the edge of my seat eager to find out what happened. Marr once again had me trying to figure out the truth before I had all the pieces and was surprised by her ending. She is an excellent writer and seems to always have very talented readers for her audiobook. 

If you like audiobooks and you like thrillers, I highly recommend checking this book out. Otherwise, you can find it on Kindle Unlimited if you have a subscription. Marr takes us through a journey of what it's like to be adopted and wonder about your birth family, what it means to have your chosen family, and how far a person will go to get answers. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. 

Given that it is a thriller there are of course content warnings. This book talks extensively about death, describes physical assault, discusses body gore, and contains sexual themes. As always, I'll point my readers towards StoryGraph for a full list of content warnings as provided by other readers. Overall, this was a great book to read during my spooky season reading months. I will be writing again soon as I'm almost done with an Advanced Reader Copy of a book that comes out in October and have (a lot) more that are due in October. 

As always, happy reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...