Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Review: Darklight by Bella Forest Narrated by Stacy Glemboski

 


I read this book on Audible, however, it is unfortunately no longer available there for purchase. It is also not available on Amazon or any other site that I am aware of. You may be able to find a copy on the site Thriftbooks. The books are available for a bundled purchase on the author's website Bella Forest Books. I believe the ebook bundle is about $40. If you are interested in the audiobooks, I found them online, but they are pretty pricey at $15.99 each. The link for that is Bella Forest Audio. Personally, this is a bit annoying as I would much prefer to have them available on Kindle or Audible. I am still trying to decide if I liked the first book enough to purchase more. I believe that these books likely went out of print and that is the reason they are only available used or digitally on the author's website. 

darklight takes place in a version of the human world in which vampires have plagued people. A secret military organization tasked with taking down the vampires until they mysteriously disappear. After the vampires' disappearance, creatures called redbirds begin plaguing humans. These are giant birds that eat people and are very difficult to kill. Our main character is Lyra Stone, one of the lieutenants tasked with killing these redbirds. While out on a mission, Lyra is snatched up by one of the bigger birds. Later on a different mission, a mysterious man grabs Lyra and she finds out vampires aren't as dead as they were believed to be. 

Lyra is forced to question everything she's ever been taught about vampires when Dorrian, the previously mentioned mysterious man, tells her the vampires need humans to give them asylum. This begins the process of trying to test vampire trustworthiness. Unfortunately, everything is not as it seems. 

I really enjoyed listening to this book. It was a lot of fun and seemed to be well-written to me. With the resurgence in interest in vampire stories, I think this is one you should be sure to check out. Lyra is a badass character who is very caring about other beings. It is more of a new adult book (Lyra is in her early twenties). There is a little romance, but the focus of the first book is a lot more on learning about vampires and how to work with them. Lyra definitely doesn't lose herself in her romantic interest which I really like. I am pretty tempted to read the next book because I did enjoy the first and want to find out what happens to the vampires and humans, I'm just a little annoyed about the previously mentioned bundle price. (It is 9 books in the bundle so it ends up being about $4.44 per book which is a pretty good deal). 

Overall, I really enjoyed listening to this book. The narrator does a good job of reading and doing voices for each of the characters. This is a fun book that helped take my mind off of some difficult things that have been happening in my life recently. As far as content warnings, be aware of murder, blood, violence, body horror, and more. Unfortunately, StoryGraph does not have any content warnings, but I will make a note to add some of my own soon. 

As always, happy reading. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...