Pages

Monday, March 20, 2023

Review: That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Demon by Kimberly Lemming



I've been meaning to read this book for quite some time, but I finally got around to it with a mutual's Monster Mash March idea. 

When I started this book, I knew from the first sentence I was going to enjoy it. Being drunk, looking for cheese, and trying to stumble home, now that's my kind of heroine. Cinnamon wanted a simple life living on her family's spice farm and enjoying their company, but life had other plans for her. On her stumble home, she finds a man in need of help but when she helps him he jumps up and chases her. Realizing she's just helped a demon, she knows her life is in danger. Her only hope is to run through the cinnamon maze and hope she gets to her parent's house in time. Luckily, she does and she barricades herself inside the house. This of course gets her teased by her family but better teased than killed by a demon. 

They don't believe a demon has chased her, but as they're eating breakfast he pops his horned head in through the window. He explains that their Goddess is who she says she is and he needs Cinnamon's help to get rid of her. With the threat of her family being in danger, Cinnamon agrees to help this demon man, Fallon. The two set off on a quest, but when it's finished, Cinnamon explains it'll take more to get rid of the false Goddess and Fallon tells her she has to come with him for the entire journey. Close proximity to a hot demon does things to Cinnamon's head and as they journey together she is unable to pretend she's not attracted to him. The two meet more friends along the way and the story gets more fantastical. 

I absolutely loved the world in this book as well as the fantastical elements of different kinds of demons (shifters, centaurs, etc). Lemming writes in a way that is funny and relatable. Her characters are the realistic side of a hero's journey, specifically Cinnamon, the hero that just wants to get back to her life. I found myself laughing out loud, gasping, and getting those schoolgirl feelings. For me, this book was basically reading happiness. If I could read only it and do nothing else, I'm pretty sure all my problems would be cured. 

I'm excited to read the second book as well as the third one when it comes out later this year. Lemming is a fantastic writer and very quickly managed to get into my top three favorite authors list. (It's Katee Robert, Kimberly Lemming, and Elle Marr for those of you interested).  If you want something adventurous, fun, and sexy, I highly recommend checking this book out. 

This book contains adult content, so you should be aware of it before reading it. For content warnings, I would say violence, drinking, intimate adult relations, and more. As always I point my readers toward StoryGraph for a full list of possible content warnings. 

This book is available currently on Kindle Unlimited and can be bought on Bookshop.org where I have an affiliate code. 

Happy reading and I'll see y'all soon with more reviews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...