Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Trans Rights Readathon

 As many people know, the transgender community is currently under threat in most US states. There are hundreds of anti-trans bills that the community is trying to combat. The bookish community has decided to rally together and do what we can to make a difference for transgender, nonbinary, and other gender-nonconforming individuals. From March 20th to March 27th, participating readers will read books by trans authors. In addition to this, it is a readathon so we will be donating to transgender organizations. Each participant is able to choose their own organization but some big ones would be the National Center for Transgender Equality, the Transgender Law Center, the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund, the Trans Youth Equality Foundation, and more. Many participants are choosing to donate to organizations in their home states or cities. 

I have decided to support the Transgender Education Network of Texas and will be donating $5 for each finished book between the 20th to the 27th. I have also made a few purchases of books by transgender authors to help the community in that way. I am asking that my family, friends, and followers participate in the reading challenge or if possible contribute a monetary donation to a transgender rights organization. Together we can make a change for people in our communities. 

For me, this issue hits home. I have many trans and nonbinary friends and family members and identify as a gender-nonconforming person myself. Many trans people are going to be able to move out of unsafe states but many more will not be able to. Furthermore, if the country continues down the path it is going I fear that transgender rights will be threatened across the nation. We can not be quiet when marginalized members of our community are attacked. Everyone deserves to be able to live and present in their body in a way that makes them most comfortable. 

In my home state of Texas, the situation is particularly dire. Transgender children are already being denied affirmative care and parents who attempt to provide them with it are being investigated by Child Protective Services. It is likely that adults will face a loss of access to affirmative care in the near future. Transgender people are already killed at high rates in the state of Texas and the "Gay Panic" law remains in place allowing people to get away with murdering or attacking LGBTQIA+ individuals if they believe they are threatened by them. Black trans women are killed at high rates in the state of Texas. We have a lively queer community in the state, but with more rights under attack, that community is likely to dwindle. 

I hope you will consider reading or donating to the cause. Even making a purchase of a book by one or two trans authors is a big help. 

You can head over to my Bookshop.org list to find a list of books by trans authors. I will be adding more to the list soon, but the current ones are ones I've read or that I'm planning to read for the readathon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe

  I picked this book up during the Trans Rights Readathon. I do have a  Youtube video  where I talk about it and my own experience with gend...